A genuine Commodore PLA signals at a voltage between 3.7 and 4.5 volts. Usually hovering around 4.3 volts. PLAnkton feeds the XC9536XL core CPLD at 3.7-3.8 volts and while this is within the requirements to be representative of a good PLA, it is beyond the recommended operating voltage defined by the manufacturer. At the same time, it is somewhat too low when compared to a genuine Commodore PLA.
Also, even when using the low power mode of the XC9536XL and slew rate limiters built into this type of IC, PLAnkton's slew rate signaling remains much higher than a genuine old PLA.
PLAnkton EV resolves these issues by adding a CMOS buffer which will be powered at 4.3V while the CPLD is now powered at 3.3V. The buffer uses legacy CMOS technology which has a low slew rate nearly identical to that of vintage technology PLAs and is powered at a voltage which also allows it to signal a higher voltage, now also nearly identical to that of vintage technology PLAs.
PLAnkton EV is the well known and popular substitute for the C64 PLA U17 part no. 906114-01.
The PLAnkton EV has much higher quality gold plated pins with 10uin plating and are made in the USA
PLA replacement is fully compatible with ALL C64 motherboards using this type of PLA as well as all C64 cartridges and peripherals including PLA sensitive carts such as: FastLoad, Super Zaxxon, 1541 Ultimate I/II/II+ and consumes only 25mA - one fifth the power of an original Commodore PLA which means it will run very cool. It's equipped with slim gold plated pins that doesn't damage your original socket to ensure the highest reliability and longevity.
• TESTED SUCCESSFULLY AND FOUND TO BE 100% COMPATIBLE WITH THE C64 Reloaded BOARD! (Mk1 only, MK2 does not need the PLA)
Features and characteristics:
- Draws only 25mA - 1/5 the power of an original Commodore PLA, the same as a small green LED
- Produces no discernible heat
- Designed by qualified professionals using actual electrical engineering practices to produce electrical signals of EXACTLY the same voltages as a genuine Commodore PLA and speed within +/-2ns of accuracy
- Made using industry standard circuit boards, new parts and professional soldering and assembly methods - no basement tinkering techniques, prototype grade boards or surplus parts
- 100% compatible (actually tested) with ALL PAL & NTSC C64 mainboards 326298, KU-14194, 250407, 250425, SX-64, 250466 (NOT compatible with board 250469 - this board doesn't use a 28 pin PLA)
- 100% compatible with ALL C64 cartridges including Epyx FastLoad, 1541 Ultimate I, II & II+, Super Zaxxon, Easy Flash 1 and 3 (tested with these cartridges and many others)
- Higher quality Gold plated pins for best reliability and longevity with 10uin plating made in the USA
- Each individual units fully tested before shipping
PLAnkton EV [Exact Voltage] PLA Substitute: (replaces 906114-01 for the 64)
- Product Code: PLAnktonEV
- Availability: In Stock
- Ex Tax: $18.50
Available Filament Colors
Scroll through the available colors.